Thursday 13 December 2007

Local Couple Face Racist Attack 10/12/2007

Racist youths left an Asian couple feeling distressed after they verbally and physically assaulted them on Wednesday 5 December in Langley, Slough.

The couple were heading towards Elmhurst road when the incident took place.
Fortunately, they were able to make it to their home where the attackers fled after others intervened.

At about 8pm, the husband and wife were walking in High Street, Langley when two young men and a woman emerged from the alleyway linking High Street with Ives Road.The men followed the couple and proceeded to hurl racist abuse at them before one of them struck the husband on the head.

The couple walked to their home where they called out to a family member, resulting in the two thugs attacking the husband with what is believed to be a screwdriver. A family member and others attempted to restrain one of the attackers, and the trio ran off back towards the alleyway.

Paramedics treated the Asian man at the scene after he sustained cuts and scratches to his ear and neck. Superintendent Pete Davies, Slough local police, is appealing for any witnesses to come forward and described the attack as "totally unprovoked, which has caused considerable distress to a law-abiding couple.”

The offenders were all white. One of the men was 16-19, about 5ft 7ins, heavily built, with a round clean – shaven face, a pointy nose, and short blonde hair gelled back. He was wearing a black zip-up jacket with white reflective stripes on the back, faded denim jeans and black trainers.

The other man is 18 to 19, 5ft 6ins, slim, with mousy brown hair and a long face. He was wearing a black shirt with vertical white stripes.

The girl is 15 to 18, 5ft 4ins, slim, with shoulder-length straight hair in a ponytail, and was wearing a blue denim jacket and blue jeans.

Please contact Detective Constable Trip Pannu on 0845 8 505 505 or for anonymity, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

1 comment:

Fiona Madden said...

I retrieved this story from a press release.

I felt a personal outrage when I read this story and so I immediately knew what angle I wanted to portray it from. I knew that others in the area would be disgusted at it too and therefore I wanted to make it as emotive and serious as possible.

The press release was already quite long and therefore I decided to make my article quite long too so that I did not miss out any important information, as this is a big story for the local area.

I began by transcribing the information of what happened and putting in some poignant language in order to get people to see the full barbaric nature of the crime.

I found that the hardest thing about writing this piece was that there was so much factual information to weave in and I did not want people to gloss over the facts, as there was an important story to get across, as well as crucial facts in identifying the perpetrators.

I also struggled with writing the three separate descriptions out without making it seem too cluttered but as I proof read my work more, I was able to delete any unnecessary language, and was pleased with the final result.